Explanatory POV: Christianity's teachings did not make sense to me, so I am no longer Christian. For me, that was a more effective choice than trying to change Christianity. That personal choice very much informs my writing of this post.

Perhaps when the evangelicals have all reformed, somebody can do something about the Catholics; last I heard they don't mind a person being gay, so long as s/he never acts on it, or thinks about it.

Truly, there are some religions/people - perhaps many - who will not change. I'm not sure that asking existing congregations to change would be as helpful as forming new, inclusive congregations.

My point (and I do have one) is that if Christian congregations have as a tenet of their beliefs that Homosexuality is Wrong, trying to change that belief may be futile. It seems a little like insisting that the local synagogue should include readings from the New Testament in order to make non-Jews welcome.

Christianity is no stranger to sectarianism; split off a Reformed Liberal South-west Lutheran Synod or a New American Baptist whatever.

I'm also a little confused by something, and that's the whole freedom of religion thing. To take the point of devil's advocate (so to speak) - if the Little Brown Church decides that active homosexual behavior is a sin - are they free to say "active homosexuals are not welcome here?" So long as they do not advocate anything illegal (like housing discrimination, etc.) Reminder - I would find that abhorrent; I'm asking because I want to know. Because if the churches ARE within their rights to do that,than I think demanding change might really be a problem -both from a practical point of view, from the point of view of doctrine, and within he spirit of the Constitution.

I did hear a story on today's news that said a church could not refuse to rent property for a gay commitment ceremony (I think that's what it was,) and that sounds very positive.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad