Like Phil, I wouldn't have it any other way. If I am not welcome somewhere I would rather have it all up front. You cannot change someone's beliefs. They must do that themselves. I think many modern Christians are more torn than they let on. I'm sure there are people who attend church regularly who know and love someone who is gay. It must be a struggle to balance what the preacher says and what they see in the person they love. The rhetoric has certainly changed, it is still, ultimately damaging, but it doesn't seem as openly hostile as it once was.

As to whether it is within their rights to openly discriminate, it seems that if the separation between church and state is honored, it should be. With businesses it is different, like the eHarmony thing. I knew they didn't do matches for gays and, while I thought it was discriminatory, I figured that it was their company, they can do what they want. The State of New Jersey said that it went against their anti-discrimination laws. eHarmony had the choice of shutting down operations in NJ or to allow gays to use their service. Churches would be different because the state cannot interfere the churches business (never mind about the churches interfering with state business). I'm surprised by the ruling that churches cannot refuse to rent their property for a gay commitment ceremony. While it seems like good news, it does seem like a violation of the separation. I would be interested in hearing what a Constitutional expert has to say about that.

If some of the big churches suddenly decided to embrace gays and stopped trying to change or control them, their memberships would decrease. Currently it is sanctified discrimination. If you don't like gays you can join a church and feel that you are taking a righteous position. It turns hateful discrimination into loving discrimination like water into wine.

As for Rick Warren, it would be an interesting experiment to see what the reaction would be if all gay bars & businesses proclaimed that no Christians were welcome. They could make statements about how much they love Christians, but that they just don't agree with their lifestyle choice.

I personally have eaten at the homes of Christians, I have family that attend these services and I think Amy Grant has a lovely voice. I just don't agree with their chosen lifestyle so it cannot be discrimination to not want them in the businesses I frequent. I love them.

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau