Originally Posted by california rick
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Interestingly the original more racist conclusions I and others drew were not even based upon facts. It wasn't 70% but 57% of African Americans who voted yes.

Mea culpa

...The study also showed that race was not a driving factor in the election, as was purported by the National Election Pool (NEP) poll which said 70% of African-Americans voted for Prop 8. Our study found the number closer to 57% to 59%.
Well that clears that up - it was only close to 60% of Black Americans voting "YES" as opposed to the widely reported 70%.

rolleyes

Same difference: The majority of California Black voters voted "YES."

Black Americans simply don't see "gay rights" as a "civil rights" issue. For Black Americans, "civil rights" is about their struggle for rights - not any other group.

...as I've stated in the past, Black Americans should have trademarked the term "civil rights" so that we are all clear on which singular group to which the term is to be applied.

Failure to tradmark the term has allowed other groups to use the term and the Black community simply has to adjust to that...

I think there's a huge difference between what black people had to go through and what gay people go through in respect of civil liberties forgone.

While there has been a few incidents of violence against gay people, it doesn't even come close to the numbers of lynching that took place in USA.

But maybe if there were signs saying "gay people to the back of the bus" other people would feel your "pain" more.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. ~Chinese Proverb

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. ~Jon Hammond